IVF, Fertility & Pregnancy
Trying for a baby has become increasingly difficult for couples. Statistically, approximately 1 in 6 Australian couples of reproductive age are affected by some sort of fertility issue, or infertility, defined as the inability to conceive after 12 months of “trying” or unprotected sex. Many are seeking medically assisted reproductive technologies (ART), including IVF (in-vitro fertilisation) and ICSI (Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injections) to enhance their conception possibilities.
IVF is a highly specialised medical intervention and demands expert advice and supportive techniques to enhance its effectiveness. As a dedicated and experienced Naturopath and Acupuncturist, Dr Miranda Myles is in a unique position to work with and support patients through IVF and ART. Miranda has a thorough working knowledge of reproductive techniques. Having experienced IVF and her own reproductive issues, Miranda understands, and is sympathetic to, both the physical and emotional distresses that occurs during this time.
Naturopathy, herbal medicine, nutritional support and acupuncture have been shown to increase conception both naturally and through IVF technology.
- Naturopathy, herbal medicine, nutritional support and acupuncture have been shown to increase conception both naturally and through IVF technology.
- Preconception health care has been shown to double IVF success rates. This is a specialty field of Naturopathic Medicine. Dr Miranda Myles specifically designs preconception programs to enable you to achieve a successful conception, pregnancy and baby, either naturally or through IVF.
- IVF can be a highly stressful time. Dr Miranda Myles has first hand experience of IVF. Having gone through it herself, she understands the stress, the disappointment, and the heartache. Miranda provides exceptional support for stress management, which enables IVF recipients to cope more effectively with ongoing treatment regimes.
- Research continues into the use of acupuncture in assisting IVF effectiveness.
NATUROPATHY, FERTILITY & IVF
Preconception health care has been shown to double IVF success rates. Naturopathic principles are at the core of preconception or prenatal care. Preconception health care involves striving for optimal health prior to conception attempts; to prepare you and your body for pregnancy, birth and beyond, either naturally or through IVF.
Miranda is experienced in working with couples to identify issues that may be interfering with the quality of sperm and eggs, and thus the ability to successfully conceive, either naturally or through IVF.
Your overall health is absolutely correlated to your fertility and your ability to conceive; a healthy mind and body can boost your chances of getting pregnant. IVF can be a highly stressful time. Dr Miranda Myles has first hand experience of IVF. Having gone through it herself, she understands the stress, the disappointment, and the heartache. Miranda provides exceptional support for stress management, which enables IVF recipients to cope more effectively with ongoing treatment regimes.
Naturopathic medicine includes the specific use of herbal medicines and nutritional supplements shown to increase fertility and conception rates. Used in conjunction with IVF, herbal medicines and nutritional supplements may improve IVF outcomes. However, it is important that these medications are professionally prescribed and tailored to your particular needs. There are some herbal medicines and nutrients that are not appropriate for use with IVF drugs. Highly experienced in assisting couples with their fertility and offering exceptional IVF support, Miranda is versed in this knowledge, and will only prescribe based on the appropriateness for you. Miranda is happy work in conjunction with your Fertility / IVF Specialist, consult with them, to ensure not only efficacy, but also complete safety in treatment.
ACUPUNCTURE, FERTILITY AND IVF
Our health practitioners recommend acupuncture as an adjunct to fertility & IVF treatments to help you achieve the best chance of conception. Acupuncture may be beneficial in a wide range of male and female fertility issues. It may be used to help regulate hormones & menstrual cycle, increase blood flow to the uterus preparing the uterine lining for implantation and subsequent pregnancy, and improve egg & sperm quality. Stress, anxiety and sleep may all be improved with acupuncture.
Acupuncture can be used at any time during your IVF process. We especially recommend it during the following key times:
- Prior to IVF to increase general health, blood circulation & fertility (Ideally once or twice per week for 4-6 weeks)
- Acupuncture can be used throughout the IVF process to help with side effects such as anxiety, nausea, bloating, hot flushes, fatigue, insomnia etc.
- Following egg collection to aid recovery
- Pre and post transfer (preferably within a 24 hour period both pre and post transfer) The protocol points used have been shown to increase chances of pregnancy rates by up to 65% – British Medical Journal, 2008. According to Dr Caroline Smith from Adelaide University Fertility Clinic, women who receive Acupuncture at transfer during IVF may be twice as likely to achieve pregnancy
- During the first trimester of pregnancy to help circulation to the uterus, immunity and general health (Ideally once or twice per week for the first 12 weeks).
- For male health, including general health and sperm quality
- From week 34 of pregnancy to help prepare you for birth, and relax both body and mind.
Dr Miranda Myles and our practitioners offer expert IVF support. We take an holistic approach to your health & fertility, discussing your lifestyle, diet & nutrition, and are happy to consult with your GP, Fertility & IVF Specialists.